Saturday, May 3, 2008

Free Choice #2

My Car

One of my greatest passions is working on cars and not only fixing them but making them better. My car is the most particular to this. I have a 1994 Toyota Celica that I inherited from my father after being wrecked by my older sister. I did most of the work myself with taking it apart and getting ready to be sent to the body shop to be straightened out and painted how I wanted it. Ive always had experience with cars so I had already known my way around them but I cannot do body work so I sent it out. Well after about $2800 dollars worth of parts, paint, and labor costs my car was back to new looking. At one point before this I wanted to give up on my car and get a different one because parts for my car are not only expensive but hard to find because my car is imported right from Japan. All parts have to come from Japan which makes them less unavailable and more expensive. I had the car painted and fixed in November and it ran fine all the way until April where my motor had blown. Well another $800 dollars had to be invested into buying a new motor but I had no labor cost this time because it was motor work and thats something I can do. My father, some friends, and I pulled my motor and put the new one in all in one weekend. We put at least 20 hours of work into my car in just one weekend. It was fun but very tiring. While putting the new motor in, me and my father had some cheap ideas to get more performance and power out of my car so we did that all in that weekend and I gained about 50 more horsepower just from two little things that we knew how to do. We got my car on the ground and everything in place and to our astonishment it started right up and we had no problems. The swap was a major success. Now the car has a transmission problem but I am taking care of it by buying another transmission and putting that in myself. Cars can be stressful but if you have the means and the time to work on them they can be fun.

No comments: